Gerrit van Setten
Gerrit is a long term practitioner in litigation and arbitration, contract law and advising in cross-border projects and transactions, especially when it comes to business between Finnish and German speaking parties. He is the entrusted legal counsel of the German Embassy in Helsinki, member of the board and Finland representative of the Zurich based Chamber of Commerce Finland- Switzerland (www.handelskammer-fin.ch) and member of international trade (www.dfhk.fi) and legal associations (www.united-legal.network.com, www.dsjv.de, www.dnjv.com).
Gerrit also qualifies and acts as an arbitrator in institutional and ad hoc arbitration proceedings. He is trained by the Finnish Arbitration Institute (www.arbitration.fi). He is a German national and admitted to the German Bar (Cologne) since 1991 and to the Finnish Bar (Helsinki) since 1995. His working languages are German, English and Finnish.
Graduated from the legal faculty of the University in Bonn, Gerrit was trained on the bench at the appellate civil court in Düsseldorf and at the Frankfurt law firm Boesebeck, Barz & Partner (today Logan Hovells). In 1992 he was appointed legal counsel to the German Treuhandanstalt and obtained unique know-how advising on restructuring and privatizing of state owned enterprises in Estonia, later project work was also for GTZ, EU and USAID in Latvia, Bosnia-Hercegovina and Kosovo. In 1994 he joined the law and auditing firm Rödl & Partner Tallinn and then Helsinki office until in 1998 he was appointed senior of the transaction and dispute resolution team of one of the then bigger international law firms in Helsinki. He left the firm in 2003 to found an own independent boutique law firm.
Recent assignments include:
Litigation (civil/administrative courts) and arbitration
- advising a Finnish company in litigation about misleading contract clauses in a private equity raising contract
- representing a German claimant in litigation of a contract dispute concerning a 2 m€ car delivery to China
- assisting a German industrial manufacturer in the recovery of assets in a procedure under the Finnish Restructuring of Company Act
- representing an Austrian global player in the transport business at the Finnish Highest Administration Court against Finnish authorities in a dispute concerning the applicability of national employment law on subcontracting by a foreign enterprise not itself operating in Finland
- assisting a Senegal importer of cranes against the Finnish exporter in litigating a delivery contract dispute in Finland;
- representing a traditional Finnish family-owned manufacturer of consumer products at the Finnish Highest Civil Court in a dispute concerning a distribution contract;
- representing a Finnish producer of food packaging in arbitration concerning a sales dispute with a major U.K. based sales chain;
- representing a German listed eCommerce company against a listed Finnish company in arbitration under the 2013 rules of the Finnish Chamber of Commerce in a m€ dispute;
- acting as sole arbitrator appointed by a Chamber of Commerce in Switzerland in an arbitration proceeding between a Chinese and an Italian company under the Swiss Rules 2012
- representing an Austrian medical equipment manufacturer in a public procurement dispute at the Finnish Market Court
Contract and transactions
- advising a German consumer product brand in contract drafting and operational terms and conditions for the Finnish market;
- assisting a Swiss buyer in the acquisition of 100 % of the shares in a holiday resort SME in Northern Finland;
- advising a German industrial subcontractor in contract, labour and branch issues in Finland
- advising a Greek consumer product manufacturer in settling contract issues concerning the delivery of board
VAN SETTEN Attorneys Ltd. | Kluuvikatu 7, 5th floor | 00100 Helsinki / Finland │firstname.lastname@example.org